(Miami, FL – February 6, 2013) – The Beacon Council, Miami-Dade County’s official economic development partnership, is pleased to announce the winners of the 11th Annual Beacon Awards. This year’s winners will be recognized on Thursday, March 14, 2013 during the awards ceremony and luncheon aboard the Celebrity Constellation.
“We are honoring individuals, industries and organizations which have contributed to strengthen our local economy,” said Joseph W. Pallot, Chairman of The Beacon Council. “Whether they are a small business, a large multinational or a valued establishment, they are outstanding, and we thank them for their commitment to our community.”
The prestigious Jay Malina Award, sponsored by Wells Fargo and named after the late founder of the first One Community One Goal (OCOG) initiative, will be given to Richard D. Fain, Chairman & CEO of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Fain is being recognized for his leadership and notable contributions to the growth of the Miami-Dade County economy.
The Beacon Awards are a component of the second One Community One Goal initiative to diversify the local economy and promote higher-paying jobs. It was updated from the 1998 original founded and co-chaired by the late Jay T. Malina.
“We are honoring the industries most able to provide higher-paying jobs in Miami-Dade County,” said Frank R. Nero, President & CEO of The Beacon Council. “These target industries and a solid foundation in education, along with a working infrastructure, provides us with the best opportunity for growth and stability.”
The Distinguished Award winners are:
· The Miami Children’s Museum: Education Award sponsored by Bank of America
· Jose Abreu, Miami-Dade Aviation Department: Chairman’s Award sponsored by Florida Blue
· Miami-Dade Public Schools with special recognition to the Schools Superintendent Alberto Carvalho and Members of the School Board: Judges’ Special Award, sponsored by Baptist Health South Florida
· Univision Networks: Make it Miami Award sponsored by American Airlines
The Industry Award winners are:
· LATAM Airline Group, S.A.: Aviation
· Craig Robins, DACRA: Creative Design sponsored by UK Trade & Investment
· TotalBank: Foreign Direct Investment sponsored by Carlton Fields
· Nutri-Force Nutrition: Healthcare
· InterContinental Miami: Hospitality & Tourism
· ColoHouse: Information Technology sponsored by AT&T
· TD Bank: International Banking & Finance sponsored by AXA Advisors
· Novartis: Life Sciences sponsored by FPL
· VSBrooks ADVERTISING: Small Business sponsored by Dosal Tobacco Corporation
· FedEx Express Latin American & Caribbean Division: Trade & Logistics sponsored by Cherry Bekaert LLP
Winners were chosen by the Judges’ Committee, which included The Beacon Council Chair and Past Chairs. The Beacon Awards are made possible by patron sponsors including Celebrity X Cruises, THE COLLECTION, The Miami Herald/El Nuevo Herald, Multivision Video & Film and DIAGEO.
About The Beacon Council
The Beacon Council, Miami-Dade County’s official economic development partnership, is a not-for-profit, public-private organization that focuses on job creation and economic growth by coordinating community-wide programs; promoting minority business and urban economic revitalization; providing assistance to local businesses in their expansion efforts; and marketing Greater Miami throughout the world. For more information, visit www.beaconcouncil.com.